Pages

Monday, July 20, 2015

Dark Shadows: Angelique As A Role Model

In Episode 374, Ben Stokes becomes mute as he attempts to warn Barnabus and Josette of Angelique's plan to prevent their upcoming wedding by using her powers of black magic. He rushes from the room and goes to Angelique ready to tear her apart with his bare hands in anger and frustration. She freezes his hands and smugly tells him that he can never hurt her because she has "too many powers."

Wouldn't it be great to have the power to prevent anyone from hurting you? Wouldn't it be even better if you could control other people like a puppeteer? That's what I thought when I watched Dark Shadows as a kid. I was also a fan of Samantha Stevens from Bewitched and Jeannie from I Dream of Jeannie for more materialistic reasons. As a kid I would try to cast my own spells like Angelique, not for evil, just for control. I'd try them on my next door neighbors who I could watch to see if I really had magical powers like Angelique. 

Needless to say, my neighbors were totally oblivious to my "magical" powers, or simply immune. However, I had to sadly admit that I had no supernatural power at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment