Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2015

What's So Scary About Dolls?

I came across this article in Smithsonian Magazine online explaining the history and possible reasons why some people have pediophobia, the fear of dolls I don't remember what I was looking for in the first place, but I found this article instead and it is a good one! 

Personally, I've always found dolls comforting in my loneliness and much easier to have around than potentially needy, judgmental humans. In fact, I have a whole group of them, several I've "rescued" from the Goodwill Store where they had been abandoned, that watch me as I sleep.

There are tons of lists online of movies about scary evil dolls. See for yourself. Some of them are well-known, like the Childs Play series and the Puppet Master movies and more recently The Conjuring/Annabelle movies. My favorites are the Demonic Toys and Puppet Master movies from Full Moon Entertainment. Full Moon even produced a movie Dollman about a live man who is the size of a doll.

I can't understand fearing something you can just pick up and toss out a window. Dolls (even possessed by demons) are so easy to defend yourself from. An example is the puppets in the movie Puppet Master. How easy would it be to simply stomp them into oblivion? This is what makes those killer doll/puppet movies so darn funny. The victims literally lay there and allow themselves to be murdered by dolls. 

On the other hand, I admire the vivid imaginations of people who fear dolls coming to life by being inhabited by evil demons such as in the Childs Play or Annabelle movies. Dolls are just pieces of plastic, or porcelain with painted on faces and hair and clothes sewn or glued on. Yes, they do resemble people, some prettier or uglier than others depending on the artists' desire and talent, but they can't come to life. Or can they?

No comments:

Post a Comment