Pages

Monday, August 3, 2015

Jennifer's Body (2009)

I don't know why, but I really like Jennifer's Body. It was definitely more horror than comedy. One reason why I like it is that I'm a fan of Megan Fox. She has a very commanding stage presence and I don't think it's just because of her beauty. There's something about her that makes me pay attention to what's going on on screen. I felt the same about her movie Jonah Hex. I don't even remember what that movie was about, but I remember her. To be honest, I think Amanda Seyfried as Jennifer's best friend Needy had a much better role in Jennifer's Body and is a better actor. She mastered the suspenseful scenes so well, I almost felt compelled to cover my eyes, like when she heard a noise and searched her dark house for an intruder, opening closet doors, etc. Why didn't she flip on the lights?

Another thing I liked about his movie was it reminded me of how cruel teenage girls can be and what joy they can derive from the suffering and humiliation they're capable of. I guess every high school has some real bitches and Jennifer's Body portrayed it pretty accurately. I could see where some of them could be possessed by demons and no one would be suspicious. If it wasn't for the bloody vomit and the dead boys, Jennifer's best friend Needy wouldn't even have guessed. She just assumed Jennifer was PMSing.

Yet another thing I liked was the use of color against darkness, like the scene where Needy ran through the dark streets and through the trees in her red party dress in an attempt to rescue her boyfriend, Chip, from Jennifer. There were a few places in the movie that used this technique.

However, the best part of the movie was the end when Needy seeks her revenge on Jennifer's murderers. It was great that Lance Henriksen plays the nice old man who picks her up hitchhiking, and that she is finally fearless, maybe because of her own partial possession, or maybe because she's pretty much got nothing left to lose. The scene changes to the evil rock band enjoying the stereotypical rock band activities in a hotel room and living it up at the expense of Jennifer and everyone that she killed. 

As the credits rolled it shows the crime scene investigation taking place in the hotel room where the band members were all brutally murdered. This was the only scene where I laughed out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment