Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

The Babadook (2014): Psycho Scary

The Babadook (2014) movie is genius on many levels. However, I heard a lot of bad reviews from disappointed viewers (including my daughter) who were hoping for a typical brainless slasher film, but instead found themselves watching something that probably went right over their heads. My daughter said it was boring and nothing scary about it. I don't get it. I was so creeped out afterwards I had to watch a couple of comedies to wash the creepy feeling out of my head before going to bed.

The Babadook "being" was so dark and shadowy with those Nosterafu/Freddy Kruger fingers and a voice like the creepy sound from The Grudge. The book in the movie was terrifyingly cool!  The acting, writing, directing and everything else about the movie was absolutely phenomenal. The grim disapproving expressions on all the faces of the people Amelia (Essie Davis) came in contact with, mostly in positions of authority, just amplified her loneliness and isolation.

 I felt so sorry for that poor family and kept trying to will Amelia to get some help. I hope this movie can be used as a tool to educate the public and others about what depression can do to a person's mind. It's not all moping around and crying in the dark. It can really warp its victim's thinking and there's still a lot of shame in asking for help, especially when the people who can help don't take it seriously, like the cops Amelia spoke to. The doctor wasn't much help either, reluctantly prescribing sedatives for the son as she cried and pleaded for help. 

The ending was a little weird, but I guess if you can't fully rid yourself of your demons, finding a way to keep them at bay is the next best thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment