Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2015

The Walking Dead: Going On a Run

In Episode 12, Season 3 of The Walking Dead, Rick, Michonne and Carl take a ride into town to, hopefully, find some guns and ammo for their upcoming fight with the Governor of Woodbury. Having carried out my own trip to the shopping center before a recent snowstorm, I couldn't help but notice the similarities.

Just like they didn't have to worry about coming upon a lot of crazy drivers on the road, I didn't have to worry about being eaten by a zombie. On the other hand, the weather report calls for snow and it seems like most rational people turn into crazed lunatics as though they're going to be trapped inside their homes with no food or power for eternity. So, I guess I could have been killed by one of them. Aside from a really bad blizzard, which could keep you inside for 2 or 3 days at most, you're going to be out on the road again in 24 hours or so on average. It's a few inches of snow, not a zombie apocalypse. Watch a movie, take a nap, it's all over except for the shoveling.

No bread, no eggs, no problem.
The trio make their first stop at the police station to take any remaining guns and find the racks completely empty. The same thing happened to me when I went to the bread aisle at Walmart to get my daughter a loaf of wheat bread! I thought everyone is gluten free these days. Did one person buy the whole bread aisle? The same with the eggs. I thought people were going easy on the eggs to keep their cholesterol intake down. What are people doing with all the eggs and bread during a snow storm? I was completely out of both so I thought I should pick some up. Better luck next time.

The lines of people at the registers were crazy too. Everyone's pissed off because they don't have a register and a cashier all to themselves, which I never understand. They just came in from a packed parking lot where they had to circle every aisle twice to find a parking spot and they are surprised to find long lines at the registers. The snow isn't forecast to start for four more hours but they act like they need to get home right away so they don't become stranded on the road with their car full of bread and eggs.

When I get back to my car and I'm exiting the parking lot, it's like total chaos with cars cutting me off and pulling out in every direction. It was like running the gauntlet. You really might think the world as we know it is coming to an end. I pull into my driveway relieved that I made it home alive only to realize I left one of my bags on the bagging carousel at the register. Great news, survived the trip twice!

No comments:

Post a Comment